Review: Me You Us by Aaron Karo



27157491

Title: Me You Us
Author: Aaron Karo
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Rating: 4/5 Stars
Paperback, 320 Pages
Published June 2016



Summary: What if the secrets of dating and love were revealed in one simple formula? That’s the tantalizing proposition high school senior Shane Chambliss offers the hopeless and hapless guys who come to him for relationship advice. After the girl of his dreams breaks his heart, Shane devises a mysterious formula called the Galgorithm and establishes himself as the resident dating guru at Kingsview High School. But his attempts to master the art of romance go outrageously awry. As Shane tries to navigate the ensuing drama, he must follow his heart, abandon all the rules, and ignore his own advice in a quest for true love. What he discovers, no formula could ever predict... 

Okay, guys. The story of how I got this book is really cute and sappy. For my birthday, my boyfriend took me on a surprise trip to the city, filled with tons of activities, food and destinations that he wouldn't tell me until we arrived at them. And a Housing Works bookstore happened to be one of them. (Be still, my little geeky heart.) And then as an additional present, he bought me some books, and this was one of them. I didn't know much about it before I  read it -- I'd just heard some praise here and there, and I was curious to see what it was all about. And I'm glad I did, because this book is equal parts adorable and hysterical.

Other reviewers aren't wrong when they say that this is the perfect book for John Green fans. Being that John is my favorite author of all time, this was a prospect that seemed sort of sketchy for me at first, because I felt like no book could ever remind me of a John Green book unless it was a John Green book itself. But boy, was I wrong. It's kind of difficult to put into words, but this book just had a general feeling that reminded me so much of Looking For Alaska -- which was a great sign, because that is my absolute favorite book of all time. The main character, Shane, just had a voice equal parts witty and sarcastic that you could've told me this book was written by John Green and I would've totally believed it without an ounce of hesitation. 

I really did like this book -- especially most of the characters. Shane himself was the perfect main character, being emotional and also sarcastic at all of the right times. I also really enjoyed Jak, because she was the type of girl that didn't conform to people's ideals or fads or standards, and she had the knack for messing up some of the most perfect moments. Shane's parents were also super adorable, and they were totally relationship goals, which definitely helped Shane with his love endeavors.

Speaking of those endeavors, one of the reasons that I enjoyed this book so much was the actual plot itself. The concept of a boy using his matchmaking services for the greater good to help the underdog get the girl was a totally new plot line to me, so it had me hooked from the get go. As a book blogger, I read a lot of books (duh). So a lot of the stories I read start to blend together and not stand out all that much in my mind, solely because I read so frequently and with as many books as there are in the world, sometimes it's hard to find an original idea. However, I didn't find that to be the case with this book, considering my lifelong reading experience. I thought that this idea was fresh and different, super interesting, and even really hysterical at times. I loved it. 

I won't spoil the ending for you, but I'll just say that I really liked how the book ended, even though I was a bit hesitant on that throughout the last few chapters. By the time the book ended, however, I was satisfied. I closed that book feeling sad that it was over, and realizing that I liked it a lot more than I had ever expected to. I certainly didn't think it could ever hold a candle to John Green's stories, but that it did, and here we are.

The only thing that I wasn't that crazy about in this book was Tristen, but that's more of my personal opinion than an actual problem with the plot or the writing. From the very beginning, I thought there was something off about her, but of course Shane was super into her because -- as stereotypical as it sounds here -- some guys will just be guys and the power of big boobs will keep them hooked even if the person said boobs are attached to is a little crazy. I thought something seemed weird about her from the start, and it got progressively worse as the book went on. By the end, she was practically creepy. Thank goodness some people eventually started catching on to that. I just thought she was a kind of weird character in general.

Overall, I really enjoyed Me You Us. It was a cute story about romance, heartbreak, and matchmaking, and the main character is just so witty and funny that this book will certainly have you laughing out loud at times. I'd definitely be open to reading more of Aaron Karo's work in the future, especially because he reminds me so much of John Green, who is -- as I have mentioned a million times in this post alone, and a million more times outside of the internet world -- my absolute idol as a writer and my favorite author of all time. So if you haven't read this book yet and you're looking for a quick, funny, cute romance read, this book is definitely the one for you to check out. I'm so glad I picked it up in the bookstore that day! (And of course, thank you to my absolutely amazing boyfriend for buying me it!! ♥)



 

No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️