ARC Review: Revenge and the Wild by Michelle Modesto

Title: Revenge and the Wild
Author: Michelle Modesto 
Genre: Historical Fiction, Steampunk, Fantasy 
Source: Edelweiss 
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Publication Date: February 2nd 2016
Add it to Goodreads!

Summary: 
The two-bit town of Rogue City is a lawless place, full of dark magic and saloon brawls, monsters and six-shooters. But it’s perfect for seventeen-year-old Westie, the notorious adopted daughter of local inventor Nigel Butler. Westie was only a child when she lost her arm and her family to cannibals on the wagon trail. Nine years later, Westie may seem fearsome with her foul-mouthed tough exterior and the powerful mechanical arm built for her by Nigel, but the memory of her past still haunts her. She’s determined to make the killers pay for their crimes—and there’s nothing to stop her except her own reckless ways. But Westie’s search ceases when a wealthy family comes to town looking to invest in Nigel’s latest invention, a machine that can harvest magic from gold—which Rogue City desperately needs as the magic wards that surround the city start to fail. There’s only one problem: the investors look exactly like the family who murdered Westie’s kin. With the help of Nigel’s handsome but scarred young assistant, Alistair, Westie sets out to prove their guilt. But if she’s not careful, her desire for revenge could cost her the family she has now. This thrilling novel is a remarkable tale of danger and discovery, from debut author Michelle Modesto.

Review: 


Naturally I first attracted to the cover of this book, and come on! Who wouldn't be!? It is beautiful. So very beautiful. 


Lately I been struggling getting into some books, so when I picked this one up I was crossing my fingers that I wouldn't have the same problem. 3% into the book I was already texting Jessica about how much I was loving it. It was fun to read, but imagine such a world! 
"I don't think he likes me running my hands through his hair, but how was I supposed to know he was a male? I thought all the hitting was some sort of creature foreplay."
Westie, our main character lost her arm to cannibals (Yes, cannibals!) When she was a young girl. In that very same attack her parents and brother were also killed. It was easy to see why Westie was desperate to find out who murdered her family. But for someone who is allowed to leave home for months on end to hunt these cannibals down, she is very stupid. Now, I am all for flawed characters, and that is exactly what Westie is, so despite her immense stupidity I couldn't help but like her. 
"She should stay in. A closet, perhaps, something soundproofed, preferably."
Modesto gives you a lot of information and world building in one book, but it is all straight forward and make sense, (Sometimes not in the moment but in the end it does!) You often see books that cram in too much and it doesn't work out, Revenge and the Wild was not like that. There are so many amazing elements and different things combined that will make you scratch your head and ask "What does this have to do with the story?" but it all just fits together like some magical puzzle. 

I can't wait to read more from Michelle in the future (Maybe more of the Revenge and the Wild world?), her story was unique and interesting and is perfect for for fans of the unusual. 

Rating:




*All quotes are taken from an uncorrected copy of the novel and will be checked against the finished book upon release.* 

4 comments

  1. I'm so glad you loved this, Amber! I've been eyeing this one a lot (the beautiful cover doesn't hurt), but was waiting for more reviews before deciding on reading it or not. It definitely sounds like an interesting book. I'm a fan of unusual reads. I haven't read enough of them! Great review.☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think beautiful covers with ever hurt! It was interesting, and an eyebrow raiser at moments but I did enjoy it. I hope you give it a chance Kaitlin!

      Thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear you loved this one, Amber! It is one of the debuts in my list to read for the Debut Challenge and now I'm even more excited about it!

    ReplyDelete

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️